Friday, September 16, 2011

New Year’s Eve concert raises funds for Giri victims

By Nay Linn Aung
January 10 - 16, 2011
A NEW Year’s Eve charity concert raised more than K10 million (about US$11,500) for victims of Cyclone Giri, which hit Rakhine State in October.

The “Wake Up R Rakha” concert, jointly organised by music band Lay Waddy and Alodawpyei Sayardaw, featured performances by celebrities including Khant Sithu, Nay Toe, Phone Shan, Nay Htet Lin, Min Thway, Khin Lay Nwe, Ayine and Hnet Pyaw Kyaw.

Held at Thuwanna Indoor Stadium is in Thingangyun township, the show began at 5pm with the beating of a Rakhine royal drum, which prompted the 6000-strong crowd to stand for a memorial ceremony accompanied by a documentary showing the damage inflicted on Rakhine State by the cyclone.

Both spectators and performers described the concert as an emotional experience that crossed ethnic boundaries.

“I’m not Rakhine but we are brothers within the same country. If someone here is in need, we have to be united,” said actor Khant Sithu. “I went and helped out after Cyclone Nargis … so I’m pleased to also help those affected by Giri through my art.”

Actor Nay Toe, who was born in Rakhine State, said the artists were pleased to be able to “lend a hand” and raise money for the worthy cause.

“I was shocked to see so many people affected by this cyclone. I’m happy that we can provide assistance through our performances,” he said, adding that he planned to raise more money for the relief effort in the future. “I will go to Kyaukpyu township to make a film and when I go there I will donate money and other needed materials for people affected by Cyclone Giri.”

Spectator Ko Kyaw Naing Htun, 29, from Yankin township, said: “I don’t live in Rakhine State but I was born there so I was really upset when I saw the devastation that Cyclone Giri caused. I’m glad I could help out by coming to watch this show.”

Lay Waddy band leader U Than Maung said the group planned to distributed a DVD of the concert throughout the country to raise more money and would distribute the proceeds to families in Myebon, Kyaukpyu and Minbya townships in Rakhine State and Pauk township in Magwe Region.
Cyclone Giri hit Rakhine State on October 22, causing in excess of 100 deaths as well as hundreds of millions of dollars damage.

Following the cyclone, Alodawpyei Sayardaw has helped raise K150 million in cash and goods from both local and foreign donors for cyclone victims.
http://www.mmtimes.com/2011/news/557/news55711.html

No comments:

Post a Comment